With Valentine’s Day approaching, owners may be considering how to show their pets that they love them. Here are some great options:
- Keep them up to date on annual exams, vaccinations, and yearly bloodwork. This is important for early diagnosis of diseases that could be treated or prevented.
- Keep them on heartworm and flea and tick preventatives year-round.
- Keep them at a healthy weight. Overweight animals are at an increased risk of developing issues such as arthritis, orthopedic issues, diabetes, etc, so keeping them at a healthy weight can improve their quality of life.
- Keep their teeth clean. You can do so by brushing their teeth daily, providing them with dental chews or toys which are labeled to help clean teeth, or ideally, scheduling them for a professional dental cleaning with your primary veterinarian.
- Keep them looking fresh. Grooming is an important way to keep your pet comfortable. Matted hair can hold in moisture and predispose animals to infection and discomfort.
- Feed them a diet that is complete and balanced. This guarantees that your pet is receiving the optimal nutrition needed for their health.
- Don’t forget to give them tons of cuddles!